This recipe is from "Classic Nonya Dishes" by Patricia Lee from Chilli Padi. When Jerome & I were staying at Katong area, we went to Chilli Padi for dinner on quite a few occasions. Honey Pork is a dish that we would always order. The pork is cut into strips, marinaded & deep fried. The honey sauce that coats the pork is what made the dish a winner. We just can't seem to get enough of it. So now that we've shifted & I've bought her cook book, I can try the recipe at home :) I'm going to try using chicken meat next time & see how it goes.
Adapted Recipe for Honey Pork
Deep Fried Pork:
300g lean pork
1/2 tsp salt
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tsp of sesame oil
dash of pepper
oil for deep frying
1 tsp of oil
2 cloves of garlic, chopped
50g or 4 tbsp of mixed vegetables
1 tbsp oyster sauce
2 tbsp plum paste
2 tsp honey
1) Pound the pork with the back of chopper and cut into strips. Marinade pork for at least 30 mins.
2) Heat oil for deep frying & deep fry the pork strips till golden brown. Dish up & set aside.
3) Heat 1 tsp of oil. Saute chopped garlic till fragrant. Add the mixed vegeatbles. Reduce heat & add the plum sauce, oyster sauce & honey.
4) Add in the fried pork & stir fry till the pork is well coated in the sauce.
5) Dish up & serve immediately.